Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Autumn, Scarecrows and Moons

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
One of the scarecrows...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Never saw a ladybug scarecrow before ;-)


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The boys with a scarecrow

This weekend was really busy as are most but this one was definitely the most fun in a while. The weather was beyond perfect. I think it was in the 70's all weekend. Saturday we went to the Scarecrow festival a couple towns over. It is a yearly event where people enter scarecrows in different categories. There is a carnival, craft show and all sorts of family fun activities. We have gone for the past three years and have so much fun each year. This year Dave's brother, sister-in-law and our nephew (Matthew's God-father) joined us as well. I am posting a few pictures from the day.

Sunday was so nice out that the boys and I walked to our local park and the boys played. While they were playing I was able to read a little bit of my book about attaching in adoption. I am two thrids of the way through the book and it has been very informative. I will post more later about that. Anyway the walk to the park was so refreshing and beautiful. This is my favorite time of year to begin with. I love all the colors and the smell of autumn. I have posted a picture of some trees on an island in the middle of the river. It is soooo cool.

Did you take some time to gaze into the moon this weekend? I did and it was beautiful. I just wish I would have had my camera out to capture it. I will give you a brief summary of the history of the Mid Autumn Moon festival in China. This will be another tradition we will celebrate with Diana. Thanks to Tina for posting the info on her blog so I can just paste it here....

Also known as the "Full Moon Festival," the Mid-Autumn festival falls on the fifteen day of the eighth lunar month. At this time, the moon's orbit is at its lowest angle to the horizon, making the moon appear brighter and larger than any other time of the year. In the Western tradition, it is also called the Hunter's Moon or Harvest Moon. According to the lunar calendar, it is also the exact middle of autumn (which begins in the seventh month and ends in the ninth).

To the Chinese, this festival is similar to the American Thanksgiving holiday, celebrating a bountiful harvest. Compared to many Chinese festivals that are inundated with vibrant colors and sounds, the Mid-Autumn festival remains more subdued. Traditionally celebrated outdoors under the moonlight, people eat moon cakes and gaze at the moon. In modern times, barbecues with families and friends are also common.

A Historical Anecdote
The Mongol Hordes of Ghengis Khan subjugated the Chinese, and established the Yuan Dynasty in the 13th Century. However, many Chinese resented the fact that they were ruled by a foreign regime. In the 14th Century, Liu Bouwen helped plot the overthrow of the Yuan Dynasty by organizing resistance. Secret messages were passed along in mooncakes.

I did a lot of thinking of Diana this weekend wondering if she has been born or even conceived yet. I can't wait to get to China to get our newest family member.

1 comment:

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I did gaze at the moon this weekend! BEAUTIFUL! And yes, I was thinking about Beth too! I hope she is safe somewhere and happy!

Janet T.