Monday, September 08, 2008

Old Friends & Technology


A few months ago some of my ladybug friends were going on and on about Facebook and were encouraging everyone else to join. I joined halfheartedly and thought nothing of it really. I have been amazed at how powerful it has really been for me since joining. I have caught up with some of my friends from high school by either just becoming their "friends" again or by sending messages. Others have fit back in my circle just like a pair of old jeans!


Cassandra and I have actually known each other since grammar school. I tease her that she followed me to my high school (it was NOT our feeder school) since she is a couple years younger than me. It was actually in high school that we became really close. She and her family moved away and like any kids we tried to keep in touch but then lost touch. About 6 weeks ago she found me on Facebook and we have reconnected like there has been no distance between us. I am hoping that eventually I will get to West Virginia to meet up with her in person again!


A couple weeks ago I became "friends" with Onaje who I went to school with. He and I got along really well in high school! Throughout the years he and one of my best friends Natalie dated off and on. The last time I had talked to Natalie her and Onaje were planning their wedding (as were Dave and I). Anyway I told Onaje to have Natalie email me.


Natalie joined Facebook and by the end of that first day we had made plans to meet up! Yesterday despite our kids we talked and talked for over six hours! We could have talked even longer but her daughter and my boys had had it! It was so much fun to not only catch up with her but to know that we were again right there in each other's lives. I know that we will continue to talk and get together and again she is in my circle! We decided next time it will be just her and I and then eventually we will meet up with the husbands.


I want to thank my ladybug friends for encouraging me to join Facebook. It amazes me how technology has been able to link me with some people who I thought I would never hear from again! Technology really is a good thing. Actually Natalie and I were just laughing about us taking our computer class freshman year and saying how we didn't believe back then that computers would be as important as they kept telling us they would be. Who knew???

3 comments:

Karmen and Greg said...

Lisa --

SO glad you got to get connected with your friends. I am just getting in to Facebook an have, like you, connected already with people I haven't thought of in years. It's really pretty cool!
Great picture by the way : )

Karmen

Unknown said...

Pretty cool!

Anonymous said...

Well now that I finally got the time to read your blogs I have to say this- first Thanks I'm glad I found you again too. Second I did not follow you to Sullivan though it sounds pretty good, but I've got my 8th grade teacher Mrs.Dean to Thank for me going to Sullivan-sorry you can't have the credit for that one. And third I feel like I've finally found that piece of me that's been missing all this time since I found you again. Also is it that much of a surprise that I still love the same things now that I did when we were in high school. Anyhow I'm so glad we found each other again and someway we'll meet in person. You've got Dave&the boys and I've got doctor appts and tests to take but we'll find a way. Love Ya-Cassandra