Sunday, November 19, 2006

Bailey's surgery

Well I have finally gotten a few minutes to post about Bailey and his surgery. For those of you who don't know Bailey has crossed eyes. He has been in glasses for over two years and for a while it seemed like the bi-bifocals were making his eyes look straight. About 3 months ago you could still see him crossing his eyes even with the glasses on. The doctor said it was time to do the surgery to correct it.

We met with the doctor who would do the surgery and he wanted to get some of his own numbers before he did anything. Last month he saw Bailey again and said it was time to schedule the surgery. It was done on Thursday.

The staff at the hospital was incredible! I can not say enough about them! When Bailey got out of surgery he was really scared because he couldn't see at all. I wish I would have known that because I could have at least warned him. He was scared, angry and in his own words "I'm not happy at all!" for quite sometime. We got him home he ate a bit and then slept. He of course napped off and on all day and when he wasn't napping he was complaining of pain or because he couldn't see. The doctor called that night to check on him and the nurse who took care of him after he was out of recovery actually called to see how he was too! Like I said I was completely impressed!

The next morning I will admit that I was panicking. He woke up and could not/would not open his eyes at all. He was crying in pain and could not stand ANY light. We got him to the eye doctor(pre-scheduled appointment) and they immediately came and looked at him. The doctor put special drops in his eyes and cleaned up all the blood, mucus and tears that had congealed and lo and behold he opened his eyes and could see again! We now have to clean his eyes every time he wakes up. On Friday and Saturday he has complained about the pain less and less. Today I think he only complained once. Tomorrow he goes back to school with no PE or recess until we see the doctor again on Wednesday.

I want to thank everyone for their prayers, concerns and well wishes. We really appreciate all that has been done for us.

On a lighter note Friday was family turkey lunch at school. Since Bailey was not in school and no where near ready to be out and about I went and had lunch with Matthew while Dave stayed home with Bailey. It was fun hanging out with Matthew and having lunch with him at school. He loved having lunch with Mommy.....note to self: next year bring your lunch...remember cardboard turkey!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa~
I am so sorry that he was so scared =O( I am so glad that he is getting so much better now! Thank goodness! Will he continue to need/wear glasses?

Many hugs and so glad that Bailey is sooooo much better!

Kym

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to read that Bailey is doing so much better. I know this was scarey.

Blessings to your family,
Rebecca
Ladybug/Red Thread Believers

Becky said...

Lisa, so glad to hear that Bailey is recovering, though it must have been so hard for you to see him scared and in pain. We want to take it all away for our children, don't we? I will pray for his continued healing!
Becky :)

Tina said...

Lisa- Ivy had muscle surgery. Who did Baileys? Send me an e-mail. I'm glad he is doing better!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that Bailey is doing better! Poor you and poor him! Glad you had a good time with Matthew too! You're a great Mom!

Janet T.